Important
News

Our 2020 resolution: TO ALWAYS SERVE YOU BETTER

 

Our offices will be closed on Wednesday, January 22, 2020.

During this day, which will be attended by our entire team, we will devote ourselves to planning our services for the year 2020.

We will return urgent calls within a maximum of four hours. Death calls will be given priority as usual.

We will resume normal business hours on Thursday, January 23, 2020.

Find a Cemetery

HEADQUARTERS OF Les Jardins du Souvenir
75, Fournier blvd., Gatineau (Hull Sector)
Established in 1872

The largest of the six cemeteries is the Notre-Dame Cemetery, located on Blvd. Fournier (Hull Sector). It appears that the Oblates of Mary Immaculate acquired, in 1866, a field of one hundred acres on the Blvd. Fournier. In 1872, Father Henri Tabaret purchased nearby 52.5 hectares of land from John and William Welch, timber merchants in Hull. Subsequently, Andrew Leamy gave 1.6 hectares of land to build a cemetery. All these parcels of land constituted a property large enough to accommodate a cemetery.

Subsequently, the International Portland Cement Company (current site of the Casino du Lac-Leamy) purchased a portion of the land, other portions of land were subdivided while approximately 13 acres were used for burial purposes over the past 140 years.

The entrance to the Notre-Dame Cemetery is quite impressive. It has a carved stone portal built in 1902 following the plans of Hull architect, Charles Brodeur. A statue of the Angel of Death sounding the last trumpet surmounts the portal. Made of hammered copper, the statue was made by Quebec sculptor Arthur Vincent. It appears that this statue was the last significant work of the artist.

Built in 1915, the Notre-Dame Cemetery caretakers' house was first inhabited by Ovide Lemieux, Exhildat Jacques, his wife and their seven children. It then became the residence of the family of their son Joseph. Ernest Martel and his wife Alice Brault who occupied the house along with their nine children until their departure in 1964. Other caretakers replaced the Martels until 1975 when the house was transformed into offices for the cemetery's staff. In October 2006, the house was emptied and offices were then housed in a new building located where once was the garden.

Caretaker houses were probably rare in Western Quebec. This property evokes the very special and important work the caretakers who, through their tasks, took care of the sites where our dearly departed ancestors and elite are buried. Located inside the perimeter of the cemetery, the building has witnessed the happy memories of the descendants of the families and their friends at a time when the presence of death was part of everyday life.

According to historian Manon Guitard, the heritage value of the building resides in the fact that it was the residence of caretakers and is unique in Gatineau. In fact, It is the sole caretaker house in the entire city. Its heritage value is attributed to the fact that it is located inside the perimeter of the cemetery, near the monumental entrance, thus granting it a significant value.

A 15-acre landscaped and wooded property where peaceful beauty, tranquility, respect and serenity prevail.

The St-Rédempteur Cemetery is located at the intersection of Blvd. Gamelin and Blvd. Cité-des-Jeunes (Hull Sector). By 1910, the Parish of Très St-Rédempteur had purchased land for a cemetery on Blvd. St. Joseph (then Chelsea Road), which is now the site of the St-Joseph Cathedral.Following protests from several neighbours, the provincial government refused to grant the required permit. Meanwhile, a group of business people bought part of the land, which allowed the priest of the parish, in 1914, to acquire another plot of land of eight hectares outside the city limits of Hull, at the corner of the current Blvd. Gamelin. The records of the cemetery began in 1916.

In 1999, Les Jardins du Souvenir sold a parcel of land to the Cooperative funeraire de l'Outaouais to build a funeral home. It is important to note that the Cooperative funeraire de l'Outaouais is a distinct business entity.

A 4-acre landscaped and wooded property where peaceful beauty, tranquility, respect and serenity prevail.

The cemetery of the St-Jean-Marie Vianney Parish (the famous Curé d'Ars) is located on Blvd. Labrosse (Gatineau sector).James Patrick Maloney bequeathed the land. The sale of the first plots started in 1929. Until the late 1950's, parishioners could see cows grazing on the graves. The most imposing monument in the cemetery is the Maloney familys', erected by James-Patrick Maloney, famously the former owner of the Chaudiere Golf & Country Club, Standish Hall and Hotel Chez Henri.

An 8-acre landscaped and wooded property where peaceful beauty, tranquility, respect and serenity prevail.

The St. François-de-Sales Cemetery is located on St-Louis Street (Gatineau Sector). Established in 1840, the cemetery is one of the oldest in Western Quebec. It is located behind the church of the same name in Pointe-Gatineau. In 1872, it became necessary to enlarge it and, in July of the same year, a lot located on St-Louis Street was purchased. Twelve years later, in 1884, authorities exhumed the bones from the old cemetery to bury them in the new cemetery.

In 1913, an additional 5.25 hectares were added to the cemetery and a mass burial was erected. In September 1927, a massive sculpture was erected.

An 11-acre landscaped and wooded property where peaceful beauty, tranquility, respect and serenity prevail.

As one of the oldest cemeteries, the St-Paul Cemetery is located on the Aylmer Road, at the corner of Samuel-Eddy Road. It dates back to 1840. As in all the villages in the Province of Quebec at that time, the cemetery of St-Paul's Parish was located behind the church. In 1875, Msgr. Joseph-Thomas Duhamel, bishop of the Diocese of Ottawa, suggested the parish authorities acquire another site for purposes of burial. He believed that the city might adopt a regulation prohibiting burials within city limits. Thus, the Roman Episcopal Corporation of Ottawa, represented by the Bishop, made the acquisition the same year of six acres of land on the Aylmer Road, which makes up the existing St-Paul Cemetery.

A 4-acre landscaped and wooded property where peaceful beauty, tranquility, respect and serenity prevail.

Located on Maples Road in the Limbour area, the St-Alexandre Cemetery is located on land bequeathed in 2000 by the Parish of the same name to Les Jardins du Souvenir. Situated on land donated by the Fathers of the Holy Spirit, it has been in operation since 1960, when it was inaugurated by Father Antonio Massé, priest of St-Alexandre Parish.

Description in progress

Description in progress

Description in progress

Description in progress